At the printmaking evening at WonderLab I was thrilled to unveil my bromeliad flower. I finally realized that rather than trying to put another strong color on the print, a transparent one would be best. A bit more carving and a transparent blue brought out the shadows of the very pink flower.
|I found this mini-jig made registration easy for people while they were printing with a spoon.|
|I love that Aha! moment when you pull up the print.|
In my studio, I’ve been working with the idea of a matrix that overlays the image. I posted the last post about this on several Facebook groups and got some interesting feedback on what people saw. I’m actually working on two different blocks, and when I had finished, I saw that I had carved one differently.
|I saw chicken wire fencing….|
The first one I followed the corners of the hexagons. When I looked at it, I saw chicken wire. It wasn’t what I wanted. So I carved away some more, smoothing the corners a bit…
|Now I see honeycombs — thank heavens!|
With more rounded shapes, now I saw what I was looking for — honeycombs. I’ve been doing a great deal of thinking about bees, their importance in our planet and food system, and the dangers they face. Now I have to continue my experiment with matrices and see how well it works on a large scale.
It is amazing to me how easily perspectives can change.